Healthy Seasonal Chicken Salad Recipe
Chicken salad makes a quick and easy lunch that’s convenient and delicious. However, most recipes for it are filled with mayonnaise and added calories. Here we offer you an alternative that still keeps the creamy texture and mix using coconut milk, with an added spice and crunch from roasted chiles and pecans. Add extra crunch and cut more calories by serving on butter lettuce wraps instead of bread.
For the Creamy Coconut Dressing
- 2 (14oz) can coconut milk, full fat
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- lemon zest (all you can get from one small lemon)
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- dash salt
- dash pepper
For the Salad
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup red grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 apple, finely chopped
- 4oz can mild chopped green chiles
- 1 lb roasted chicken, chopped
For the Creamy Coconut Dressing: Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk well and then set in the fridge to chill while you prepare the salad.
For the Salad: Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Add the creamy coconut dressing and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with large lettuce leaves and Dijon mustard.
Nutritional Analysis: 286 calories, 20g fat, 80mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, and 19g protein