Quick & Easy Lentil Soup
Use this recipe as a go to for a light dinner or quick lunch. It's easy to make, tastes delicious and is low in fat but full of natural protein. An added bonus of this soup is that lentils are packed with cholesterol-lowering fiber that will help to keep you fuller longer.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
- 2 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 4 quarts chicken broth, fat free, reduced sodium
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground toasted cumin
- Optional, spoonful of fat free cottage cheese
- Optional, dried parsley
Put the olive oil in a 6-quart Dutch oven and place over medium heat.
Add the onion, carrot, celery and salt and sauté for 6 to 7 minutes.
Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, coriander and cumin; stir to combine.
Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture just to a boil.
Once the mixture has started boiling, reduce it to low heat and cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.
Using a handheld blender, puree the soup to your desired consistency.
Serve with cottage cheese and sprinkle with dried parsley if desired.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 240 calories, 2g fat, 35g carbohydrate, 18g fiber, and 16g protein.